Sometimes we need a suggestion or rule for remembering what is important in life and how to navigate the “Mindfield” of life. I intentionally made up the word “mindfield”, because most of the suffering that we experience in life is created by our minds and thoughts. It is like every now and then we will hit a “landmind”, or a thought that causes us emotional pain. When we hit one of these “minds” we have to lift ourselves out of it and think constructive and positive thoughts.
Here are some suggestions and blessings that I have collected over the years that can help you feel successful as we navigate the mind fields of despair:
(1) Seek serenity and tranquility in a world you may not always understand.
(2) The pain you have known and conflict you have experienced will you the strength to walk through life facing each new situation with courage and optimism.
(3) Always know that there are those whose love and understanding will always be there, even when you feel most alone.
(4) When you discover the goodness in others you can believe in a world of peace.
(5) A kind word, a reassuring touch, a warm smile can be yours every day of your life, and may you give these gifts as well as receive them.
(6) Remember the sunshine when the storm seems unending.
(7) Model love to those who only know hate, and let that love embrace you as you go into the world.
(8) Allow the teaching of those you admire become part of you, so that you may call upon those teachings when they are most needed.
(9) Remember the lives you have touched and who have touched yours are always a part of you, even if the encounters were less than you would have wished. It is the content of the encounter that is more important than the form.
(10) Do not become too concerned with material matters, but instead place immeasurable value on the goodness in your heart.
(11) Find time in each day to see the beauty and love in the world around you.
(12) Realize that everyone has limitless abilities, but each of us is different in our own way. What you may feel you lack in one regard may be more than compensated for in another. What you feel you lack in the present may become one of your strengths in the future.
(13) See your future as one filled with promise and possibility. Learn to view everything as a worthwhile experience.
(14) May you find enough inner strength to determine your own worth by yourself, and not be dependent on another’s judgment of your accomplishments.
(15) Always feel loved.
(16) God takes things away from us to give us something better.
(17) Strive to be childlike, not childish.
(18) It is okay to be selfish when you need to be. If you don’t love yourself, no one else will.
(19) Constantly radiate love, gratitude and compassion.
(20) Enlightenment is simply letting go of everything else.
Reprinted from The Elephant Journal